Every student is encouraged to attend at least one enrichment activity to enhance their learning’.
There are a vast range of opportunities available to our students outside of their regular timetable. These clubs and events are on offer after school. Every faculty area aims to provide curriculum enrichment so there is something for everyone!
Our students can take part in a wide range of activities. Some involve multiple year groups whilst others are for specific age-groups. Below is a list of our regular clubs but there are often many more opportunities throughout the school year. There are also educational trips abroad and visits to the theatre and Geography field trips.
The Duke of Edinburgh's Award Scheme
The Duke of Edinburgh’s Award aims to provide for young people an enjoyable, challenging and rewarding programme of personal development. Waterhead Academy is proud to be a Direct Licensed Organisation and as such we can offer the chance to obtain the award to all willing pupils starting at bronze level in year 10.
The Duke of Edinburgh’s Award aims to develop the following skills in participants;
- Self-belief and self-confidence.
- A sense of identity.
- Initiative and a sense of responsibility.
- A real awareness of individual strengths.
- New talents and abilities.
- The ability to plan and use time effectively.
- Learning from and giving to others in the community.
- Forming new friendships.
- Problem solving, presentation and communication skills.
- Leadership and team-working skills.